Friday, March 4, 2011

Scones, salmon and boston baked beans

Pasta and chickpeas with spicy blue cheese tomato sauce

Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Muesli
Lunch: Pasta and chickpeas with spicy blue cheese tomato sauce
Dinner: Creamed spinach with potatoes
Baking/sweets: Spiced polenta yogurt scones , Spiced polenta yogurt cookies

Blue cheese, tomato puree and spices worked quite well, surprisingly. Neither the tomatoes nor the blue cheese dominated the party, however I suspect if I added just a little bit more tomatoes it would have been another story.

The spiced polenta yogurt scones were good, nothing out of the extraordinary. I transformed a small part of the dough into cookies by substituting part of the yogurt with oil. The resulting three tiny cookies were really excellent and I wish there was more. I usually bake without following recipes and I just hope I can recreate the recipe for the cookies. And the lack of butter wasn't missed in the cookie.

Today's Favourite Photo
Source: jeroxie



Today’s Favourite Blog
Simply recipes has a recipe for slow cooked boston baked beans and a brief introduction to the connection between molasses and Boston. The recipe sounds delicious, it does not use any tomatoes which is new to me. And it was interesting to read that in 1919 a huge tank of molasses exploded flooding part of the town. According to wiki you can still smell molasses on hot summer days. Maybe dishes such as boston baked beans came about as a result of molasses freely flowing, literally! 


7 comments:

  1. I love your scones! My scones don't rise for some reason, yours look lovely and light.

    The pasta dish looks really interesting as well, I'd love to try pasta with the addition of chickpeas, that's quite a traditional Italian dish I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I don't think I've ever had chickpeas in pasta. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely love the idea of polenta yogurt scones and adding blue cheese to tomato sauce is one of my favorite ways to spruce it up! Great minds think alike for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the sounds of the chickpea pasta! yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. You have such a different and interesting food blog. I like the idea of using yogurt in scones. I am going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma: I learnt that for scones to rise they have to be placed pretty close to each other on the baking tray
    yummychunklet: chickpeas and pasta is great!
    Joanne: agree, great minds do think alike:)
    blackbookkitchendiaries: it is yum!
    Elaine: thanks for visiting and your kind compliments

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that salmon photo, the colours are so vibrant and contrasting each other making a great photo composition

    ReplyDelete