Friday, August 19, 2011

Eat more prunes and chicken gizzard

Sautéed chicken gizzard and liver with rice
Food Diary (August 18, 2011)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with strawberries, sunflower seeds and flax seeds
Lunch: Sautéed chicken gizzard and liver with rice
Dinner: Sauerkraut and apples in pasta sauce with flax seed sourdough toast
Baking/sweets: Muesli sesame cookies

I saw chicken gizzard (or chicken stomach) for the first time in a supermarket here and grabbed it without any second thoughts. I haven’t eaten it in a very long while and seeing it brought back some wonderful memories. Chicken gizzard is quite a hard working organ so the muscles are well developed and tough. Gizzard does not have the ‘irony’ taste that liver has but it does have a slightly unique taste and texture. It is slightly crunchy. 

Gizzard and liver go well together, I think so anyway. Inside the chicken they are physically located quite close to each other. They also collaborate when it comes to processing the food that the chicken eats, so it comes as no surprise that gizzard and liver complement each other on a plate. This logic may not have universal application though but it certainly worked in this case. 

The unusual flavor combination continued through to dinner. Sauerkraut, tart apples and pasta sauce went well together. I think so anyway. Perhaps my taste is ‘different’, to put it politely!

Muesli sesame cookies


Today's Favourite Photo
Salmon with goat cheese and mango salsa


Today’s Favourite Blog
Scientists are discovering all sorts of information. On Monday  I wrote about researchers finding a strong relationship between consumption of red meat and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Today I read about a report from a Florida State University researcher concluding that eating dried plums can improve bone health in postmenopausal women, and people of all ages.

Over a 12-month period a group of 55 women were instructed to consume 100 grams of dried plums each day. Another group of 45 women were instructed to consume 100 grams of dried apples. The “dried plums” group had significantly higher bone mineral density in the ulna (one of two long bones in the forearm) and spine. According to Bahram Arjmandi, the researcher, this was due in part to the ability of dried plums to suppress the rate of bone resorption, or the breakdown of bone, which tends to exceed the rate of new bone growth as people age.

Unrelated to this research, about 2 weeks ago I posted a recipe for semolina prune cookies. I am certainly not suggesting that you eat these cookies if you want to strengthen your bone but it does contain prunes, and they are delicious!

Three Most Recent Recipes

Three Most Popular Recipes

19 comments:

  1. Oh, that salmon presentation is wonderful! I think I'll pass on those chicken gizzards, but both my parents are fond on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess my tastes are just as 'different' as yours! But then I'm asian and asians eat weird stuff but I draw the line at durians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely adore prunes. i used to snack on them all the time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though liver is the only chicken offal I regularly eat, I must admit your gizzards look great. The whole meal was very eclectic indeed :-)
    I hope they will soon find a way to concentrate these 100g of prunes in pills. 100 g is a lot, in calories also (I suppose it must be the equivalent of 100 g chocolate).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of some of the philosophies of food and foraging- like serving the oysters with the sea grasses they were found near. Serve the meats with the organs they play next to. I like this train of thought....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizzy: most people would pass, which is good I guess, plenty for us:)

    ping: you draw your line before or after durian?:) Point taken, loud and clear. I didn't have too many encounters with durian when I visited SE Asia last time, I will hunt them down next time.

    Junia: you must have strong bones:)

    Sissi: 100g is certainly a lot, and since its dried its more concentrated. 100g was for the experiment, I don't think its the recommended amount. Maybe the persons ended up with strong bones but higher diabetes risk???

    tori: I guess it would either work really well or be a complete disaster

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure I'm ready to take the gizzard plunge. My granddad practically LIVED on that stuff though :)

    And yes...the poor dog's name is Lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm thinking it's not really the red meat itself but just that those who eat more red meat probably don't have a great diet to begin with. those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sauteed Chicken gizzards- Awesome and never ever thought to do something like that. I do need to eat more prunes though- thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have take your word on the chicken gizzards. I tried them once and that will never happen again. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies look perfect! Both Josh and I love sesame seeds- I gotta try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you tried Chicken gizzard with Yakitori style in Japanese restaurant? It's pretty good! Never thought of cooking with liver like how you cooked. I should give it a try. We can get gizzard easily at Japanese market here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not sure I am brave enough for the chicken gizzards, though you make them look appealing! Yet the muesli sesame cookies are something I could definitely get on board with! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to read Science daily, especially new advances in nanotechnology which is my field of research... I never thought prunes do make a difference...

    As an Asian, gizzards are quite common in Asian market and I love eating them. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Parsley Sage: it must be good if your granddad practically lived on it:)

    Joanne: good point, exactly.

    Kitchen Belleicious: you are welcome!

    yummychunklet: OK, didn’t realize it would leave such a lasting impression!

    Erica: thank you

    Nami: I haven’t tried gizzard yakitori style but I have tried them deep fried. Delicious!

    Anne: thank you, I try my best:)

    Victor: Science daily is certainly interesting reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. Three-Cookies, the problems with all the experiments is they give huge doses of good or bad food products and then make people believe something is healthy/unhealthy. I suppose eating 3 prunes a day can be good for digestion but will have no impact on our bones... For me such studies, if not followed by a concentrated prune pills production, can be error-inducing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sissi: I was wondering about this. I think with some experiments they give large doses for shorter periods instead of small doses for longer periods since this would take much longer. Since the experiment showed that prunes are good for bones, maybe they can conclude that consuming smaller amount of prunes regularly will have long term benefits. Maybe, this was not mention but thats what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love prunes and tend to consume a lot, I guess you know what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the best articles that I’ve read in a very long time! I Took notes and surely gonna implement and test bunch of stuff you talked about.
    You’re a beast! Cheers, Ash
    And don't forget to visit petreviewz blog

    ReplyDelete