|Sautéed potatoes with fried egg|
Food Diary (January 04, 2012)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with banana, coconut, sunflower seeds and flax seeds
Lunch: Sautéed potatoes with fried egg
Today's Favourite Photo
Source: Technicolor Kitchen
Almost mother-in-law cake
Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: Daily Meal
Very insightful article on “10 foods that will fill you up”. Of course one approach is to eat lots of food frequently to fill you up but that’s not what this article is about. Instead it focuses on foods which make you feel full for longer.
1. Porridge: Oatmeal contains whole grains which help you feel fuller longer. There are plenty of fibers in whole grains which take longer for your body to digest, making you fuller on few calories and loading your body with many nutrients. I did feel full longer after my breakfast today!
2. Eggs: Because of their high protein level, eggs have an ability to help you feel fuller longer. Louisiana State researchers compared woman who had eggs for breakfast with those that didn’t. Those who had eggs lost more weight.
I did feel full longer after my lunch today, though I didn't lose any weight today, because I didn't have eggs for breakfast and I am not a woman!
3. Pasta: While too much pasta isn't necessarily good for you, a healthy serving of whole-wheat pasta may be enough to offset a whole day of overeating. You'll feel fuller longer, not only because whole-wheat pasta has high amounts of fiber, but also because it contains high protein levels, which help you build leaner muscle and fill up your belly.
4. Oranges: Oranges are about 86 percent water. According to the recently developed satiety index, the water helps to increase the portion size without adding extra calories, so it fills you up faster and longer. I am surprised to see orange in the top 10 list.
5. Nuts: An ounce a day of these powerful protein-packed treats can keep you satisfied. Nuts also contain powerful antioxidants, which help the body fight against free radicals and provide enough fiber to keep the munchies at bay.
6. Prunes: Prunes are full of calorie-burning nutrients and are fiber-rich enough to fill you up during the day. A single prune's contents are about one-third water, so the fruit provides a more filling portion for far less calories. And I suppose they also help to “empty” you quickly.
7. Beans: With insoluble fiber, beans not only fill you up, but also aid in lowering your cholesterol.
8. Apples: Apples are loaded with fiber to keep you full. Surprised to see this making an appearance in the top 10 list
9. Peanut Butter: eating lots of this creamy, nutty spread might not do you good, but a layer on wheat bread or an addition to your favorite fruits and veggies will do the trick. Peanut butter is categorized as having a good kind of fat, with tons of protein.
I am surprised to see this here since it comes under the nut category. Commercially made peanut butters generally contain sugar, hydrogenated fat and other ingredients
10. White Potato: They can also keep you fuller three times longer than other foods. Maybe chips does not count, maybe it does, I am not sure. You decide!