Tuesday, February 7, 2012

North Korean BBQ

Tuna pasta with blue cheese sauce

Food Diary (February 07, 2012)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with pear and flax seeds
Lunch: Tuna pasta with blue cheese sauce
Dinner: Steamed veges, sandwiches
Baking/sweets:  

This is the first time I tried canned tuna with blue cheese sauce. It went surprisingly well together. It was a cold day here today, which is a good thing because the oil soaked tuna, generously doused with cheese sauce, certainly kept me warm. 


On a separate note, I had been facing minor problems uploading photos. Its a blogger issue. I managed to find an excellent solution. In case you are also facing problems, here's what I did. Instead of uploading photos through the compose window, I click on 'Edit HTML', locate where the photo should go and upload. This way is much faster and convenient.

Today's Favourite Photo
Jake's Special Burger: I’ve never seen a bun with so much poppy seeds


Today’s Favourite Blog
Have you heard of North Korean style BBQ, in particular gasoline-baked clams? Its simple, lay a bed of clams on a gravel pit, douse them with gasoline from a bottle and light them on fire. The clams are roasted for 5 minutes. More gasoline is added during the cooking process, if needed. 

According to a Japanese tourist who tried this, the clams carry no trace of gasoline and are rather tasty. It was a little undercooked though. Eating undercooked shellfish does carry the risk of bacterial poisoning. The North Koreans always make sure to have a bottle of soju (distilled rice liquor) on hand. According to a North Korean guide, there are some people who become poisoned from eating gas-baked clams and its claimed that it’s the people who didn’t drink soju with their clams who get sick.

I am certainly not advising that you try gasoline BBQ at home. If you try and the results are far from desirable, I would be interested in hearing about it but not accepting any blame or liability. Don't forget the soju, or other high alcohol content liquor.





Recent Recipes


Popular Recipes

21 comments:

  1. Whoa, gasoline clams. I would stuff that awesome burger in my mouth though!
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baht looks like a really interesting bun (and a juicy patty too!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hamburger with measles!! How cute!
    I'd think the people eating gasoline pickled shellfish would be getting poisoned both ways ... from the shellfish and residual gasoline. Besides, don't they have a shortage of gasoline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A measles burger is cute???:)
      They say there is no gasoline smell but I guess that does not mean there is no residual gasoline. And its undercooked shellfish, washed down with soju. Talk about triple whammy:)
      It seems they don't have shortage of gasoline for BBQ, only shortage for other uses.

      Delete
  4. Wow thats something new to me, gasoline clams. Looks a bit dodgy to me and I think you will still taste the gasoline from it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tuna with blue cheese...now THAT is a combo I've never heard of. I wonder if it goes just as well with other fish?

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the idea of tuna in my pasta. I don't think i have ever done that although i realize it is nothing to new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don'think its new either but never tried it myself before either

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! For me canned tuna is a kind of wonder food: it keeps for ages and is good both warm and cold. I must try your pasta one day. It sounds delicious.
    As soon as I saw the words "North Korean" I knew something dodgy would follow... I suppose they drink the alcohol trying to follow the rule saying that a small amount of strong alcohol before the meal kills all the known bacteria and viruses, while a double amount kills even the uknown ones ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canned tuna is wonderful, far better than canned mussels:) As you say, great warm or cold, cooked or straight from the can
      Thats a good rule. I actually asked a friend who is a biochemist and that was his view too - so I try to follow this when travelling in countries with suspect food quality

      Delete
  8. wow its crazy how creative people can get when cooking food! i am not a big fan of blue cheese, but i am glad that you found the two a tasty combo. thanks for the tip on how to upload on blogger. i haven't had an issue uploading on blogger lately - only on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny I went to a Korean BBQ restaurant this pas Friday, we cooked our mussels on the regular burner...no gasoline in sight. Soju is just great, period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boring, just a regular burner. Next time ask for gasoline BBQ, but outside:)

      Delete
  10. I haven't made pasta with tuna for a long time. Thanks for sharing - I just got some inspiration from your delicious pasta~~! Hmmm gasoline BBQ. Some people are creative about how to prepare food. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also heard the other day that the most fire-related injuries come from people adding gasoline to start bon fires. Perhaps they are trying to make those clams!

    ReplyDelete