Saturday, March 10, 2012

Eat chocolates for breakfast

Sourdough with lentils
Food Diary (March 9, 2012)
Breakfast: Semolina porridge with raisins, sunflower seeds and flax seeds
Lunch: Sourdough with lentils
Dinner: Sourdough with lentils
Baking/sweets:

You must have wondering what is that thing in the picture. Just bread topped with lentils, nothing special. Yesterday I worked all night and didn’t get any sleep. And that’s the only thing I wanted to eat all day. That’s probably the only think I could think of. Sourdough topped with a spicy red lentil puree is surprisingly delicious.

Today's Favourite Photo
Chocolate-Caramel Cookie Bars with Pecan Praline




Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: The Atlantic
New research from Tel Aviv shows that starting the day with a full meal that includes a sweet dessert contributes to weight loss success.

Daniela Jakubowicz randomly assigned 193 clinically obese, non-diabetic adults, ages 20 to 65, to one of two diet groups with identical daily caloric intake -- 1,600 for men, 1,400 for women. Those in the first group ate a low-carbohydrate diet that included a small 300-calorie breakfast while members of the second cluster were given a 600-calorie breakfast high in protein and carbs that always included dessert.

Halfway through the 32-week trial, participants in both groups had lost an average of 33 pounds per person. Things changed drastically soon after, however. While participants in the large-breakfast group lost another 15 pounds each, those in the low-carb group regained an average of 22 pounds each. At the end of the program, those who had less restrictive breakfasts had lost an average of 40 pounds more per person than their peers.

The study concludes that starting the day with a full meal that includes a sweet dessert can bolster and maintain a dieter's weight-loss progress. According to Daniela “curbing cravings is better than deprivation for dieting success since avoiding sweets altogether can create a psychological addiction to these same foods in the long-term.”

If you eat desserts for breakfast and get told off, quote this research!

18 comments:

  1. Hah! Best article evah! But unfortunately I can't even eat that much for breakfast ... tummy not awake. So can I skip everything else and go straight to dessert? Or maybe a dessert that includes carbs, protein and sugars ... wait, that sounds like my fruit and nut cereal :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I've summarised articles before saying having fat and sugar for breakfast is good, then one is even better. Lets see what else comes in future. Maybe having durian for breakfast increases productivity, happiness, prolongs life and cancels out eating as much fat and sugar during the rest of the day:)

      Delete
    2. I'd rather be miserable and die young.

      Delete
  2. Your sourdough with lentils looks great, but I don't know if I could eat it for two meals in a row. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh i think its psychological. when we know we've been in deprivation, we are more likely to binge on something we haven't had in a long while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, we want more things that we don't have

      Delete
  4. I usually eat Lindt 85% for breakfast :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sure it was apricot jam ;-) Apricot jam is one of the rare jams I love (it's tangy and great in cakes and cocktails, at least in the one I posted and drink from time to time). Anyway, I also love red lentils!
    The article reminds me of a similar study you have written about recently. I see I should start changing my breakfast routine (it's only savoury).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close but not close enough:) Apricot jam is nice. I've made cake with it (http://easilygoodeats.blogspot.com/2011/04/sticky-apricot-and-coconut-cake-with.html) Similar to the South African Melba pudding
      Drink jam? I've seen people put jam in tea - never tried that myself.

      Delete
    2. http://www.withaglass.com/?p=4600 I used apricot vodka, but I think any good vodka (the Swedish one is very good!) can be used. You should try it one day.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I will remember this cocktail

      Delete
  6. Sourdough and lentils looks delicious! I love lentils. I could definitely deal with a breakfast that included dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all the excuse I need!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete