Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Monday December 27, 2010

Lentil Tomato Spread on Crusty Bread
Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Toast
Lunch: Rice and mixed vege stew
Sweets: Tiramisu ice cream

The lentil tomato spread I made today is a simple and versatile dish. The spread is actually a thickened version of the soup. I made the plain version but the spread can be ‘dressed up’ by adding ham, sundried tomatoes, yogurt and so on.

Variations of lentil soup exist in different cultures and it also has a very long history. A quick search on the trusted Wikipedia revealed that lentil soup is mentioned in the Bible: In Genesis 25:34, Esau is prepared to give up his birthright for a pot of fragrant red lentil soup (a "mess of pottage") being cooked by his brother, Jacob.

The tiramisu ice cream was store bought, it had a relatively strong alcohol aroma/taste and of course this was much appreciated. I checked the ingredients, there is no sign of alcohol, but I still live in hope that somehow alcohol managed to find its way into the ice cream, in my batch at least anyway. Unfortunately there is no cognac or other alcohol at home otherwise I would have confirmed the alcohol content in the ice cream.

Talking about alcohol takes my memory to Irish coffee I had in a cafĂ© in Kyrgyzstan. I am not an Irish coffee connoisseur but it was the best Irish coffee I ever had. And yes, that was in Kyrgyzstan.  

Today's Favourite Blog
David Lebovitz freezes up a sorbet with interesting flavours and presentation. With some slight variations the colors of the sorbet will match the French flag. Perhaps this was not intended but would have been an interesting coincidence

Today's Favourite Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment