Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday January 8, 2011

Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Rolled oats with toasted coconut and raisins
Lunch: Spanish omelette on ciabatta
Dinner: Potato salad
Baking/sweets: Few dark chocolate coated nuts, experiments with polenta cookies and crackers

Very simple meals today. The Spanish omelette had eggs, potatoes and ham, with lots of garlic. I am not sure if this is a typical Spanish omelette but it was really nice. The potato salad I had for dinner comprised of boiled potatoes, capsicum, cucumber and onion in olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing. Probably not the best meal for a cold and dark winter night but it was refreshing.

Today I experimented with making butter free and sugar free polenta cookies and plain polenta crackers. The cookies were a variation of the polenta cookie logs I made few days ago. While I love baked goods containing butter and sugar, I like to find substitutes so I can have a guilt-free or guilt-less indulgence:) I replaced butter with an oil/water emulsion using a 3:1 ratio. A 4:1 ratio with 20% water content would more closely emulate the composition of butter which has 20% water. However I wanted the cookies to be ‘short’ so I used more oil. I usually use dried fruits as a substitute for sugar. Today I used golden syrup which is probably not the best substitute for sugar since it is almost sugar anyway! The cookies were OK, I need to improve it before posting the recipe. The plain polenta crackers were really nice and crispy. It disappeared rather quickly.

Today's Favourite Blog
Interesting to read about the ‘Big American 2’ series being rolled out by McDonalds Japan. Starting from January, four American themed burgers will be available – Texas, Idaho, Miami and Manhattan. In addition to a meat patty, all the burgers have an addition type of meat. Manhattan is the lightweight, weighing in at ‘only’ 542 kcal.

All burgers look pretty good, perhaps better than most burgers offered at McDonalds in USA. McDonalds fans might need to travel to Japan to get the better American burgers! Isn’t it interesting that sometimes national dishes are better in other countries!

Today's Favourite Photo
A savoury cheesecake on rye bread, topped with caviar


1 comment: