Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday January 5, 2011

Chickpeas in lemon red wine sauce with smashed potatoes
Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Missed
Lunch: Chickpeas in lemon red wine sauce with smashed potatoes
Dinner: Rolled oats with figs and raisins
Baking/sweets: nil

Today was almost an ‘upside down’ day. I had breakfast for dinner. The partial upside down day brought back wonderful memories of the holiday I had in Siberia. I spent 2 weeks in a summer camp in a small village 2 hours drive from Novosibirsk, the capital of Siberia. Activities were planned almost everyday and one of the activities was an "upside down day" – you switch day and night and all meals. I was not able to fully participate since I had to leave for an excursion in the morning (night!) after breakfast (dinner). It was great fun and an interesting concept, its probably good to break the routine once in a while.

Chickpeas in lemon red wine sauce was an experiment. I have never tried vegetarian dishes paired with wine, except for cheeses! I have some leftover red wine and decided to experiment with chickpeas. I chose chickpeas because its fairly neutral taste works well with most combinations. The pea/wine combination worked, I think. I found that finishing off the dish with an acid (preferably lemon but I used apple cider vinegar) was necessary. I tried with and without the acid and found that it made a big difference. As we know lemon and chickpeas are good friends (hummus!). The acidity helps cut the sweetness and the creaminess. I used a medium bodied table red wine, slightly oxidised since it was opened a few days ago, but still drinkable (just) and cookable.

Today's Favourite Blog
eat and dust blogs on jalebi, a very tasty Indian sweet. Jalebi is deep-fried coils of batter, soaked in syrup. Crunchy and sweet, and yummy. It’s a pity jalebi is not available where I live. Maybe it is but I have never seen it before. Perhaps you are more lucky!

Today's Favourite Photo

2 comments:

  1. Wow that double strawberry cheesecake looks really good! I love that chocolate swan as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the comment on my blog. I think your blog is very interesting with a different concept by having "today's food diary", "today's fav blog" and "today's fav pic".

    ReplyDelete