Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bacon and Egg, Pink Velvet Roulade and Cuba restaurant

Bacon and egg with rye pita bread
Food Diary (May 16, 2011)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with raisins, toasted coconut, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds 
Lunch: Bacon and egg with rye pita bread
Dinner: Spaghetti with spinach tomato sauce, tomato salad
Baking/sweets:

Bacon and egg pie is one of my favourite pies. Bacon and egg with pita is nice but its definitely not the same, quite far from it actually. In Sweden if I want to eat  bacon and egg pie I have no choice but to make it myself. Yes life can be tough. On the other hand in NZ and Australia (and some other countries) pies are sold at just about every bakery, supermarket and gas station. However finding bacon and egg pies in Australia can be a real challenge, though you can easily find bacon and cheese pie. Its definitely not the same, life can be tough in Australia also. I think I can continue talking about pies but now is probably a good time to stop!

Today's Favourite Photo
Pink Velvet Roulade


Today’s Favourite Blog
Huffington published this news today but the actual event happened sometime back. Better late than never! Most of us take restaurants for granted, it is easily accessible, provided there is ability and willingness to pay. And we have a wide range of cuisines to choose from. But not in Cuba. Until recently restaurants were state-run. Reforms are now allowing privately owned restaurants. The new rules allow the independent restaurants to seat up to 20 people, and there is no ban on seafood and steak. 20 people is not much but at least it’s a start.

The Soviets went through something similar following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Some former Soviet republics caught up with the rest of the world really fast while others are lagging far behind. Even today in some of the smaller Soviet republics there are only a small number of ‘good’ restaurants, and some don’t even have McDonalds! And forget about good pies.

11 comments:

  1. That pink velvet roulade is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bacon and egg pie, I made it for the first time in March, took it from a British blog (The Cottage Smallholder) and found it amazingly good! (What is more the colours were soooo beautiful!) Eggs and bacon with pita look yummy too! Eggs and bacon taste good with everything.
    I have heard about the Cuba law changes. I hope it's a sign of a slow progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink velvet roulade is simply adorable. Who can resist all that pink? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your breakfast pita bread sandwich looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yeah I saw that on Sprinklebakes, it was my favourite photo of the day too I think! I don't think I've ever seen bacon and egg pie in the UK, does pork pie count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pink velvet roulade looks beautiful! I would love to try that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I tried to make a roll cake recently and let's just say that I found out it's not easy to roll them that perfectly. Really beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That roulade is just the most beautiful thing. I wish I could make something so lovely.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elaine: thanks for visiting. Yes extremely pretty
    Sissi: glad to hear you already made my favourite pie and loved it. You have good taste:)
    Briarrose: thanks for visiting. Resistable alright!
    Yummychunklet: thank you, looks matched taste thankfully
    Xinmei: no pork pie definitely does not count, not even close:)
    Tammy: me too, but for now we need to be satisfied with the picture
    Xiaolu: maybe its like macaroons, takes a few attempts. I saw on a program that adding corn starch helps make the sponge more flexible
    Heavenly Housewife: you should try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the velvety roulette! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very flattered :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete