Friday, June 3, 2011

Torta di Fragole e Crema Soffice di Yogurt and mud pie is good for the stomach

Baked salmon and egg with caviar and rye flaxseed sourdough
Food Diary (June 02, 2011)
Breakfast: Missed
Lunch: Baked salmon and egg with caviar and rye flaxseed sourdough
Dinner: white beans in tomato sauce with rye flaxseed sourdough toast
Baking/sweets: Vanilla oat cookies

The two eggs, eggs from chicken and eggs from fish, complement each other quite well. But if we allow the eggs to become animals they don’t complement each other so well. Dishes combining both fish and chicken are rare. Pizza with chicken and anchovy work well but I cannot think of many other dishes. Now bacon is appearing in sweet dishes and chocolate is used for some savoury dishes. I won’t be surprised to see chicken and fish making an appearance together in future. 

Today's Favourite Photo
Torta di Fragole e Crema Soffice di Yogurt-Yogurt Mousse Cake with Strawberries


Today’s Favourite Blog
Eating mud pies can be good for the belly, according to recent research findings. I am not talking about  Mississippi mud pie but mud. Eating of earth, known as geophagy, has been reported on every inhabited continent and in almost every country. According to research, the most probable explanation for human geophagy is that it protects the stomach against toxins, parasites, and pathogens.

A database of geophagy was compiled. The database showed that geophagy is most common in women in the early stages of pregnancy and in pre-adolescent children. Both categories of people are especially sensitive to parasites and pathogens. In addition, geophagy is most common in tropical climates where foodborne microbes are abundant. People also eat earth during episodes of gastrointestinal stress. 

So if you crave mud from time to time, or eat it without telling anyway, don’t be embarrassed. You are not the only one! On a related note a biotechnology professor that I know of mentioned that eating food that has fallen on the floor can be good since it helps to strengthen the immune system.

20 comments:

  1. What an extravagant lunch! Sounds lovely! Great photo of the day too. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! I have seen various clays in detox kits but never actual mud. I guess the clays must be extracts of muds from certain places! Very interesting. And a very delicious-looking lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Torta di Fragole e Crema Soffice di Yogurt looks so beautiful and delicious...I would love to try that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that's one of the prettiest strawberry desserts I've ever seen. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was as disciplined as you to record my meals throughout the day... but I'm not. And that yoghurt mousse cake certainly looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eggs and caviar? That sounds interesting indeed. We have someone making ice cream with bacon bits here but I wasn't brave enough (no, not yet) to sample some.

    We Ate This!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful strawberry dessert! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm that is true...fish and chicken are the two protein sources that you never really do see together. Hmm. Wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bacon in sweet dishes??? I have never heard about it (although the chocolate mole sauce has quite a long history I think).
    Geophagy reminds me of some dogs licking the walls (apparently lack of calcium). Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that lunch sounds divine. Apparently all that was missing is a sprinkle of earth??? Humm mud the new foodie fad! And yes nuns and rum in the 18th century...best buddies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting about the mud pies...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That torta looks incredible!! I'm going to pass on eating earth though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That mouse cake looks divine! Now I'm even more tempted to by mousse rings -- uh oh ;p. Very interesting information about earth and the immune system at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You lost me at mud. Eeew. I think I will take the Mississippi Mud version instead :-).

    ReplyDelete
  16. ew mud really? I that strawberry yogurt photo is fabulous! I do not think that salmon and caviar sammie sounds appealing but i bet it tasted good.

    I do agree that ingesting small particles from

    ReplyDelete
  17. What delicious meals you have. And the strawberry dish looks delicious. And your lunch sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sreisaat: you should try bacon ice cream, you will be surprised. Like salty caramel, meat version!
    Joanne: I also wonder why no chicken and fish. A delicate fish will complement the chicken well
    Sissi: I’ve seen a number of bacon sweets – bacon brownies, bacon ice cream. Just a small amount for saltiness and flavor. I’ve made chicken and bacon cookie, a savoury version though
    Cheap Ethnic Eatz: It tasted fine without sprinkling of earth. I think I will add mushrooms if I need some earthy flavor! Those lucky nuns…

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have seen one documentary before that shows these mud pies eaten by poor people in Africa, I cannot remember the country but I so pity them. They said it is also rich in minerals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your posts!! So informative and delicious looking!!

    ReplyDelete