Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tartlets with nectarines and raspberries and eating nuts to control Type 2 diabetes

Salmon pasta salad with toasted sesame seeds and crispy skin
Food Diary (July 12, 2011)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with toasted coconut and sunflower seeds
Lunch: Salmon pasta salad with toasted sesame seeds and crispy skin
Dinner: Sautéed cauliflower and tomatoes with rye sourdough, pickled unripe apple salad, muesli

The salmon lunch was really awesome, probably one of the best salmon meals I ever had. It was really plain and simple. There was no sauce, just good salmon cooked well. It is often said that in cooking skill counts for only 35 percent of the quality of the dish while the quality of the ingredients accounts for the remaining 65 percent. I don’t know whether it really is 65% and 35% but the quality of the ingredient is really important. I remember the last salmon I had, it had seen sitting in the refrigerator for a while, a very long while. The salmon was nice but nowhere as nice as the salmon I had today. The pasta was nice too.

Today's Favourite Photo
Tartlets with nectarines and raspberries (tartaletki z nektarynkami i malinami)

Today’s Favourite Blog
Eating nuts every day could help control Type 2 diabetes and prevent its complications, according to new research from St. Michael's Hospital and the University of Toronto. Consuming two ounces of nuts daily as a replacement for carbohydrates proved effective at glycemic and serum lipid control for people with Type 2 diabetes.

I wonder if eating sweets such as snickers or halva which is loaded with nuts offsets the consumption of sugar the sweets contain. The research did not have answers to such questions.


  1. I have a family history of type 2 d and have been doing everything in my power to avoid getting it - I am an avid follower of Dr. OZ and nuts have been a big factor in my diet - Love your photo of the day - those pie-lets look darling! cheers, priya

  2. Snickers and halva?! Haha ... that's nuts! (Lame, I know. Sorry, couldn't resist)
    I love that lunch of yours. Crispy salmon skin ... I could eat a plateful of that alone ... yum! And those tartlettes are adorable!

  3. Great looking pies, but that pasta of yours is giving me a craving! Looks delicious!

  4. Oh I can totally agree this salmon pasta looks delicious with the crispy skin and sesame seeds! What kind of seasoning did you use? My 5 year old son loves crispy salmon skin... I will make this for lunch one day. Looks delicious!

  5. That tart looks like a work of art!

  6. That lattices are so pretty! What a great idea to top a pie :)

  7. Your pasta looks delicious indeed, but I am particularly seduced by the crispy skin. One of the sushi restaurants in my city makes sushi maki with salmon (crispy) skin and they are their best maki!
    How do you make the crispy skin?

  8. Salmon pasta salad sounds just about perfect!

  9. Good quality salmon doesn't need much else to make it taste good! Sounds like one tasty salad!

  10. the pasta is killer and those tarts are so cute! I love it all!

  11. What pretty tartlet crusts!

  12. first of all, those berry tarts ARE SOOO PRETTY!!! oh my goodness. i'm so inspired. and i'm gonna forward this link to my dad who is diabetic 2. nuts are seriously powerhouse food! i love them.

  13. The salmon and pasta look like the perfect healthy lunch. That is a lovely photo of tarts. Thanks for the reminder about eating nuts - Type 2 diabetes is on my husband's side of the family.

  14. Now Serving: Dr. OZ has lots of interesting ideas and suggestions

    Ping: its not lame, its awesome!:) I could also eat a plateful, probably a great snack to go with beer. Unfortunately there is limited supply of skin!

    Carol : thank you, it was delicious

    Nami: I just used salt, nothing else. Kept it really simple.

    Angsarap: is is, and probably even more delicious to eat, but we can only guess

    Lorraine: I know, such a simple but brilliant idea. There is plenty more opportunities to innovate it seems

    Sissi: I have never tried sushi maki with crispy skin. There are a few places here that have sushi buffet, the quality of the sushi in the buffet it OK. Anyway if they have crispy skin, I think the skin will disappear and the sushi will stay behind! To make crispy skin, you can shallow fry the salmon, skin side down, until its almost cook and then cook on the other side. The skin should be crispy. If its not crispy or the skin is uncooked you can either shallow fry or use the oven/broiler.

    Maris: just about…:)

    Joanne: agree 100%

    Kitchen Belleicious: I had the pasta, wish I had those tarts also. I can only see and imagine!

    Yummychunklet: very pretty indeed

    Junia: yes nuts are powerhouse food. And delicious too!

    Elaine: you are most welcome

  15. That salad has it all- pasta, seeds, and crispy salmon- wonderful!

  16. Thank you for the recipe!! I will try it.