|Cauliflower with rice|
Food Diary (October 28, 2011)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with banana, coconut, sunflower seeds and flax seeds
Lunch: Cauliflower with rice
Dinner: Carrot soup, sandwiches
Did you know that honey is considered to be the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible. Personally I would not want to taste honey from a tomb that also contains a dead body. But its still edible!
I just checked the date stamped on my jar of honey, it says June 2013. I will surely finish the honey well before then but I am curious now why jars have a due or best before date. Maybe for commercial reasons? Or maybe the quality is best if it is consumed before a certain date, but then centuries old honey was considered edible.
Other ‘things’ like salt and sugar won’t spoil but they are not considered food while honey is considered food. This will spark an endless debate. Whatever is the right answer, just keep in mind that honey has a long life.
Today's Favourite Photo
Source: La Mia Vita Dolce
Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Mousse Frosting
Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: Huffington Post
An insightful and interesting article titled “11 Foods That Will Kill You”. The 11 foods are:
1. Fugu Blowfish: fugu contains a potent poison, tetrodotoxin that can cause either paralysis or death. That's why only licensed chefs are allowed to cook it
2. Tainted Cantaloupe
3. Casu Marzu: The cheese has live maggots. The live maggots can live in your system, making diarrhea and vomiting a possibility. However neither of those symptoms are necessarily killers, however the article says that with the symptoms you may wish you were dead
4. Certain Mushrooms such as "destroying angel" or the "deadly webcap."
5. Sannakji (Wriggling Octopus): Eating sannakji is common in Korea. Choking is a potential threat anytime you eat it
6. Giant Bullfrog, Namibia: No matter how delicious something may taste, when it contains "a few particularly toxic organs," best to stay away. One website describes the giant bullfrog as a "minefield of toxins with the skin and organs being particularly dangerous to eat."
7. Silver-Stripe Blaasop: This fish is reportedly delicious, and deadly. If you don't remove the liver and reproductive organs, the toxins in this fish can lead to paralysis, breathing problems and even death.
8. Raw Unpasteurized Milk: the pasteurization process frees milk of pathogens that your body can do without -- like salmonella, escherichia and brucella. However there are people and countries that have the complete opposite view, claiming that there is nothing wrong with unpasteurized milk and cheese. Both sides are right and wrong. Today I tasted some cheese made from unpasteurized milk, the supermarket would not sell it if it was potentially deadly.
9. Ackee: This undoubtedly beautiful food is Jamaica's national fruit, and is prepared with saltfish to make the country's national dish. Problem is that the edible portion of the fruit, the yellow arilli, surrounds toxic black seeds. And when unripe, the fruit contains a poison called hypoglycin, requiring special handling and preparation.
10. Durians: Reportedly, this Southeast Asian fruit can be deadly when combined with alcohol, but that's not the only risk it presents. It can prove fatal when falling from the tree onto your head. It can even kill your relationship. According to Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations, after eating it "your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."
11. Hot Dogs: Last year the American Pediatric Society recommended a "redesign" of the hot dog, noting that its cylindrical shape made it a prime culprit in children's choking deaths.
Most Recent Recipes