|Herring Beetroot Potato Salad with Caviar|
Food Diary (November 06, 2011)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with sunflower seeds
I got the Herring Beetroot Potato Salad with Caviar recipe from With a Glass who got the recipe from a cousin who in turn got it from someone else. I don’t know where this recipe originally comes from but it is most likely from Eastern/Central Europe or Russia. History can sometimes be boring and irrelevant, what is important is that the salad is simple to make and delicious. It is quite a heavy salad, I had it as a meal rather than as a salad. If you don’t like herring, you can always try to like it. If that’s not an option any other fish can be substituted. The recipe is available here.
Today's Favourite Photo
Source: Gourmet Estorie
Foie Gras Parfait, Toasted Brioche, Shallot Marmalade
Today’s Favourite Blog
The articles title “5 Things That Won’t Help You Live Longer” grabbed my attention. I can think of many more things that won’t help us live longer. I am not really sure how useful this is but here are the 5 things:
- Your parents’ ages: if your ancestors lived long it does not mean you will live long also if you smoke, have high cholesterol, don’t exercise and do other things harmful for your health. Lifestyle factors can trump genetics.
- Enduring fewer stressful life events: It’s how one deals with major stressful events, not just the presence or absence of them, that seems to be the bigger X factor.
- Nationality and geography: “Japanese longevity” seem to have more to do with lifestyle and diet than with the virtue of being born in a certain place.
- Social and economic status: A landmark Harvard study of 10 years ago pegged more education as a more reliable predictor of longevity than higher income or higher social rank.
- Herbs and supplements: Certain vitamins seem to shore up aspects of health, but no miracle supplement or nutrient cocktail has yet been found to turn back the clock.
I hope you found this useful. If you were not born in Japan, don't worry, you can always adopt the Japanese lifestyle and cuisine.
Most Recent Recipes