|Eggplant and rice|
Food Diary (December 20, 2011)
Breakfast: Rolled oats with raisins, coconut, sunflower seeds and flax seeds
Lunch: Eggplant and rice
Dinner: Potato soup, toast
Today I bought cocoa powder and it made me think of mispriced shares. Strange. I bought the cocoa from an underground market in the city. When I say underground I mean below ground level, and not a shady or dodgy place. There are two such markets in the city, or maybe more, and they are generally more expensive. The cocoa was organic but it was much cheaper than regular cocoa from the supermarket. So not only was the cocoa cheaper it was also organic. These things should not happen, just like mispriced shares. In the stock market when this happens investors buy and push prices up. I don’t think a lot of shoppers will head towards the market to take advantage of this mispriced cocoa.
While the cocoa was quite a bit cheaper in percentage terms, the difference was nominal in monetary terms. However scoring this good deal still made me happy!
Today's Favourite Photo
Fortune Mandarin Orange Pound Cake
Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: Daily Mail
There is no shortage of research on what is good or bad for us. I’ve summarized many articles already. While I don’t want to cause more confusion by presenting yet another list of good and bad foods, I found this list interesting. Whether we believe it and follow it is another story, its interesting reading at the very least.
As a background, Robert J Davis has written a book titled “Coffee is Good For You”. Robert is a health writer and lecturer in public health. He has taken into account the thousands of scientific studies that are published and tested each claim on his own 'truth-scale.' The results aim to be unbiased. I suppose all studies claim to be unbiased.
Here is a summary, some of which will make you smile, some of which will shock you, and many of which you are probably already familiar with:
- You need eight glasses of water a day for good health
- Sea salt is more 'healthful' than regular salt
- Detox diets make you healthier
- MSG is harmful
- Carbs make you gain weight
- Raw veggies are more nutritious than cooked
- Chocolate is good for you
- Vitamin C fights colds
- Gluten is harmful
- Yoghurt improves digestion
- Oats lower cholesterol
- Trans fats are harmful
- A Mediterranean diet is good for you
- Dairy products cause cancer
- Bagged salad should be washed
- Grass-fed beef is more 'healthful' than grain-fed beef
- Mercury in sushi is toxic
- Garlic lowers cholesterol
- Tomatoes prevent prostate cancer
- Organic produce is more healthful than conventional produce
MSG's appearance in the true list shocks me the most.