Sunday, March 18, 2012

Butterscotch Banana Cake

Butterscotch Banana Cake

Food Diary (March 18, 2012)
Breakfast: Sourdough toast
Lunch: Lentils and spinach with polenta 
Dinner: Fried rice

The butterscotch banana cake has a strong banana caramel flavor as well as a darker color. This is achieved by caramelising the sugar and cooking bananas in the caramel. The cake is surprisingly light, airy and moist, just like a sponge cake. My recollection of banana cake is that it is generally dense, but not this one. The recipe is available here.


Today's Favourite Photo
Apple Tart



Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: Care2

This blue strawberry is real. It is a regular strawberry that has been GMO’ed.

Inspiration for this GMO strawberry comes from the Arctic flounder fish. The flounder produces antifreeze to protect itself in frigid water. The scientists took the gene that produces the antifreeze and introduced it into a strawberry plant.  The blue color was not intentional, that’s how it turned out, perhaps symbolising the color of the ocean!. 

The blue strawberry plant can withstand freezing temperatures. And the strawberries could be stored longer, increasing their shelf life. 

25 comments:

  1. Woah!! the banana bread looks so moist! Absolutely love banana bread so I will have to try this version too!

    and ewww to the blue starwberry! It looks so odd! Wonder if it tastes the same as a regular one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    I am not sure if it tastes the same as the regular one, the article didn't say anything. We just have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. didn't they do something similar to tomatoes? to help them withstand cold weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen blue tomatoes. I am sure it has been attempted, the scientists get bored easily it seems!

      Delete
  4. I personally would never buy a blue strawberry, fantastic sounding bread :)
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would be hesitant with these blue things also

      Delete
  5. Wow thats an amazing stawberry, i wonder if I can buy that here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are the blue strawberries really that blue? It doesn't look real at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the photo is real, it does look artificial though.

      Delete
  7. What's that going to do to me if I ate that strawberry and it still has remnants of "anti freeze" in it? Maybe I could save some $$ on winter clothing ... not that I need it here :D Talk about turning blue with cold! LOL!
    Going to check out your banana bread ... looks yummy! Love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats good thinking. Maybe they can inject those genes into people living in really cold climates, it will save on heating bills etc. Hopefully they don't turn blue. You guys need the other gene suitable for hot climates:)

      Delete
  8. The banana cake sounds extraordinary. I must buy some bananas, but after my weekend meals I will have to wait a bit before making a cake ;-)
    Blue strawberry??? I have heard that GMO fields "invade" standard cultures, crossing with the normal produce, so I wonder if one day we'll see violet strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I understand. After eating this banana cake I will also have to wait a while before making something sweet again:) Thats that I think and hope.
      Maybe one day we will see strawberries in all colors, and maybe red will disappear. The original carrot wasn't orange but we don't see the original anymore.

      Delete
  9. That sure is a beautiful looking strawberry but it reminds me of something out of a Willy Wonka movie. As much as I love it, I'm not sure about eating GMO foods. The banana cake however, sounds delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same reaction, very nice to look at but probably not interesting to eat.

      Delete
  10. I just bought a bunch of bananas yesterday, so your butterscotch banana bread is on my list to make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really hope my roommate lets her bananas get brown again so that I can steal them to bake this cake! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that butterscotch cake is YELLING not calling but YELLING my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it yelled out my name and I went to its rescue:)

      Delete
  13. Your butterscotch banana cake looks so moist and delicious! What, that blue strawberry is REAL??? I'm stunned!

    ReplyDelete