Sunday, November 11, 2012

German sushi and green tea



Sultana coconut cookies
  
These sultana coconut cookies are not just sugar free but also butter free and egg free. They are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. And they are definitely sweet, you won’t miss the sugar.

Sugar and eggs do add texture to cookies. But it does not mean the cookies are not delicious, on the contrary they are great. And you can indulge in them guilt free. The recipe is available here.


Today's Favourite Photo
Source
German Sushi



Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: Science Daily
Green Tea together with starchy food may help lower blood sugar. Mice fed an antioxidant found in green tea and corn starch had a significant reduction in increase in their blood sugar levels compared to mice that were not fed the compound. The difference was about 50%.

The amount of the antioxidant what was given the mice was equivalent to about one and a half cups of green tea for a human.

The antioxidant was most effective when it was fed to the mice simultaneously with corn starch. For humans, this may mean that green tea could help them control the typical blood sugar increases that are brought on when they eat starchy foods like breads.

The study has only been done on mice so far. The researchers are hoping to get permission to do human testing. 

15 comments:

  1. The three cookies ;-) look fabulous! I always aprpeciate sweets recipes without eggs because I sometimes don't have them and crave sweets so much... Unfortunately it's not the butter, but the flour (or other carbs) that makes me feel guilty whenever I have cookies or cakes... Anyway, I'm hopping to see the recipe and I hope you will come up one day with zero carb cookies recipe!
    I love the German sushi! (I would maybe put mashed potatoes instead of the rice? and a piece of cabbage leaf instead of nori?).
    I must drink more green tea. Really. I drank litres of it when I was in Japan (it was hot and instead of buying bottles of water, like I do in Europe, I bought bottles of cold green tea; it quenched my thirst better and I'm sure was healthier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yap, has to be three:)
      I don't always have eggs at home either. Sometimes I freeze them in ice cube trays and it works great but I haven't done it in ages.
      In the study green tea and starch was consumed at the same time - it may be less effective if green tea is drank afterwards. But still healthy nevertheless.

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha!! Love the German Sushi! Now that's a chef with a great sense of humor :)
    Sugar free, butter free and egg free ... hmm ... what's left? Very interesting. Looks great too! Checking it out after this.
    Hmm ... they can use me as a test subject. I always have hot green tea with my meals and iced when I need a thirst quencher. Squeak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, though it could be challenging to finish the sushi in one bite:)
      Not much left after we take eggs, sugar and butter out of the equation. Like a stripped down car - still running but minus the bells and whistles!

      Delete
  3. LOL! German sushi!! I was curious what it looks like and scrolled down. You made me laugh. I've seen some weird sushi before and this is still acceptable! Haha.
    Cookies with so many "free" ingredients! I don't have allergy luckily, and I promise to eat just one or two cookies so I like mine to have full ingredient cookies. Though I'd love to try how they taste like! These look crispy and that's how I like my cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cookies are also suitable for those 'guilt free' binges:)

      Delete
  4. Ha! That German sushi was totally unexpected! :o

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some VERY interesting sushi...made me smile =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, German sushi... love it :D No problem to finish it in one bite though... that's why sausages have a slight curve in them I'm sure - so you can bend the whole thing into your mouth and chomp down!

    Love the sound of the cookies too... guilt-free? That's my kind of sweet snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with finishing it in one bite:) Nothings impossible:)

      Delete
  7. The German sushi is just so yummmm. you ignited the fire in my tummy haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and funny looking sushi

    ReplyDelete