Sunday, December 2, 2012

Reindeer and Beetroot, Liver and Bacon


Fried beetroot, liver and bacon

Few days ago I was watching Come Dine With Me on youtube. Great program, I love it. While watching I felt that someone was looking at me through the windows. I looked and sure enough it was someone, or more like something. Staring at me was an organic free range reindeer. I think he or she was trying to communicate with me, saying ‘stop watching come dine with me, instead dine on me’! When I saw the reindeer I immediately thought of reindeer meat served with chanterelle sauce. Its absolutely delicious. The quality of the meat from the reindeer that I saw probably doesn’t get too much better. These reindeer feed on organic fruits like apples and stuff from the forest. They roam around and breath fresh air. They are very happy animals, which means delicious meat. 

I often see reindeers but it is not common to see one standing at the windows and staring at you. Very pleasant and strange, just like this fried beetroot, liver and bacon dish. The combination of beetroot, liver and bacon may sound strange but when you think of it, it should work in theory. The sweetness and earthiness from the beets, smokiness and saltiness from bacon and the irony taste from liver, combined with chili and garlic sound good together. In spite of the sound theory I did have some doubts in practice. Nevertheless I proceeded to make this since I wanted to use the ingredients and could not be bothered cooking them separately.

I am glad I did. I wolfed it down in minutes, it was good, and I was hungry. The combination really surprised me. The 'livery' or irony taste was subtle and the beetroots tasted much less earthy. All the ingredients had different textures, it wasn't a plate of mush. The beets were al dente, liver was soft while the bacon was slightly crispy and hard. While the different textures were evident, the same cannot be said for the color. Beets are bullies, everything was red. But I can live with that. The recipe is available here.

  
Today's Favourite Photo
Source: Camemberu
Cheesecake



Today’s Favourite Blog
Source: Care2
Apparently having a pet has a number of proven health benefits.

Breathe Easier
James E. Gern, a pediatrician from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, conducted a number of studies that demonstrate having a pet in the home can actually lower a child’s likelihood of developing related allergies by as much as 33 percent. His research shows that children exposed early on to animals tend to develop stronger immune systems overall.

Meet and Greet
Animals can be an instant icebreaker, whether they’re with you or you’re just using them as a topic of conversation. Pets can be the common denominator that helps people to connect. Perhaps an alternative to a dating site? I wonder if we can rent pets.

Stay Heart Healthy
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institute of Health have both conducted heart-related studies on people who have pets. The findings showed that pet owners exhibit decreased blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels — all of which can ultimately minimize their risk for having a heart attack down the road. For those who have already experienced a heart attack, research also indicates that patients with a dog or a cat tend to have better recovery rates. These benefits are thought to be connected with pets’ tendency to help reduce or at least control their owners’ overall stress levels.

Get a Move On
Dogs can act as the perfect personal trainer, if only because most of them need to be walked several times a day. According to studies like those conducted by the Wellness Institute at Northwest Memorial Hospital, as long as you’re the one holding the leash, you’ll reap the rewards, which can include losing — or at least maintaining — weight. Research conducted by the National Institute of Health also supports this claim — including one study of more than 2,000 adults, which found that dog owners responsible for walking their pups are less likely to be obese than dog owners who pass the duty off to someone else or those who don’t own dogs at all.

Keep Your Chin Up
Pets are a great way to beat the blues. Not only are they known to they offer unconditional love, but they may also give their owners a sense of purpose, which can be crucial for those feeling down in the dumps. Pets also combat feelings of loneliness by providing companionship, which can boost your overall mood and even bring you feelings of joy and happiness.

11 comments:

  1. Well thats an interesting recipe, I can just imagine how it taste I never had tried reindeer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have reindeers near where you live? :o How marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Rudolf. I've never seen a reindeer. Only some wild deer that came to our yard and trampling it to bits when we were abroad ... didn't know how to cook then :)
    I love that combination ... don't see anything wrong with it. Love the beetroot, love bacon and liver! It'll be a great Christmas dish if you'd just sprinkle something green over :)
    That article is correct ... my pet has been so great this few months. But I think it's getting over-hugged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to add some greens - wish I thought earlier. I was too focused on eating it:)
      You might be able to buy reindeer - imported from NZ, Sweden etc. It comes in small boxes - around 300g.

      Delete
  4. It looks so delicious and intriguing... I have never had reindeer in my life! I wish I had... I really feel at home here when you write that seeing the live animal made you think about its delicious meat. We live in times when people are disgusted even by a sight of a whole fish or cut up meat seen at the butcher's... (when I tell some of my friends that seeing a huge pork loin at the butcher's I get hungry and cannot go without a bit they look at me as is I were a cannibal at least...).
    I have heard that pets are especially advised for old people who tend to feel lonely and bored and don't move a lot. I remember that I loved my dog but I was furious when I had to take it for a walk when it was very cold or when it rained...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, great minds think alike:) Whenever I see deer in the backyard thats what comes into my mind. The meat is so delicious.

      Delete
  5. Oh, wait, so it's not reindeer liver? Sorry, I have misunderstood! It does look very tempting though and I'm sure that reindeer liver must be very special too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its chicken liver. I've never tried reindeer liver - yes must be delicious.

      Delete
  6. Hi 3C - I love reindeer... sadly I can't get it as much as I'd like, seems really rare in France, although you can occasionally get cured stuff from IKEA, although it's really expensive. I watched Come Dine With Me once... it was so bad... maybe it's just the families they chose, but everyone seemed so trashy, and bitching so much about other people... not just about the food. And the presenter as well seemed like a real asshat. In Sweden on the channel TV4 they have a show called "Halv åtta hos mig" which is the same concept but it seems really nice - I used to love watching it until TV4 changed their rules and it's difficult to view it on their website anymore :(. I like it the most *because* of the presenter - Helge Skog... a really funny guy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the Come Dine With Me is less interesting because of the bitching etc but some are really really entertaining. Haven't watched the Swedish version yet.

      Delete