Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday December 20, 2010

Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Rolled oats with raisins, toasted coconut and sunflower seeds
Lunch: Baked potatoes and pork ribs
Dinner: Potato soup with egg drop, chickpea and mixed vege soup
Desserts: Sweet rolled oats, modified no bake chocolate oat square

For lunch I first boiled the potatoes, brushed with oil and baked them until golden brown. The ribs accompanying the potatoes were precooked ribs I bought couple of weeks earlier and froze. There is still two more portions remaining. The potatoes turned golden brown but were not very crispy because of the variety of potato I used. Few days ago I made chips with these potatoes and the chips were not crispy either, but still tasty. Chips always are unless its dry and chewy like the doormat, not that I have tried doormat:)

Dinner was leftover potato soup, which finally finished. I simple dropped an egg (without shell of course!)while the soup was warming and the egg got beautifully poached. I got hungry again after 2 hours, I suppose water can only keep you full for so long. I made soup using chickpeas, veges and vegetable stock cube. I love chickpeas cooked in any style – I think I am getting addicted to them. Its probably not a bad thing I suppose.

I had to keep the sweet tooth satisfied so first I cooked oats with water, sugar, toasted coconut and dark syrup. Still not satisfied so I decided to make a variation of the no bake chocolate oat square. I modified the recipe by using far less margarine and added coconuts.

Today's Favourite Blog
What We Ate Today
I love reading about what people eat in other parts of the world. What We Ate Today’s bloggers are based in South Africa. Their breakfast was an English-Turkish-Greek fusion. South Africa is a melting pot of different cultures and this is reflected in a lot of their cuisines. While reading their blog, for the first time I heard of Malva pudding and of course it sounded delicious. Its similar to sticky date pudding except there is no sticky date, instead apricot jam is used. The sauce is also different. I just added Malva Pudding on the list of things to try. I didn’t come across this when I visited South Africa, probably because we didn’t visit too many traditional local eateries. Nevertheless its very simple to prepare using basic ingredients so I don't need to travel to South Africa for this one.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for the mention!

    While Malva pudding is a traditional dessert, it is available in most restaurants. It's really, really nice!

    It's a Cape based dish, so you'll find it more in the Cape Town / Western Province area, but it has definitely spread to the rest of the country. One of the other desserts we get commonly around here is Sticky Toffee Pudding, which is similar to Malva, and sticky date. You should definitely try Malva some time!

    The breakfast was lovely too! The funny thing is that Turkish bread is quite uncommon here, so when I saw it on the menu I had to give it a try. And the halloumi was of course awesome!

    ~ Craig

    ReplyDelete