Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wednesday December 22, 2010

Fried potatoes with meatballs
Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Rolled oats with pears
Lunch: Spiced fried potato and meatballs
Dinner:  Spiced Lentil soup with rice and mixed veges

When I made my lunch today I thought of one of the dishes I have when I visit Kyrgyzstan called Kurdak. Kurdak is simply fried potatoes and meat. Generally lamb is used. The dish is quite simple and you taste the individual components which is basically meat and potato! 

Potato and meat combinations appear in many different cultures. Sweden has pytt i panna or 'little pieces in the pan' - small cubes of meat, sausage, potato and onion are shallow fried and lightly spiced. As you travel east, you will encounter Kurdak in Central Asia. Kurdak has larger cubes of meat, potatoes and onions fried, and it comes with a generous amount of fat. In some restaurants the amount of fat is very generous. In the last restaurant I visited more than a year ago the liquid fat was about an inch deep.

Moving away from fat and onto fat free cookies, I finished off the frozen 3-ingredient oatmeal cookie dough I had in the freezer. I simply sliced the frozen dough about 1cm thick and baked, without waiting for it to defrost.

Today's Favourite Blog
The blog post today from Sparklette was very short but the photo and idea was amazing. The Connoisseur Concerto, a cafĂ©, offers Christmas themed drinks. The photo below is of Nutte Winter. Isn’t the design and concept cute?


Today's Favourite Photo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment