Friday, March 18, 2011

Penne salmon, hot cross macs, and apple cider vinegar

Penne and salmon with spicy tomato crème fraiche sauce

Today's Food Diary
Breakfast: Polenta and banana porridge
Lunch: Penne and salmon with spicy tomato crème fraiche sauce
Dinner: Adzuki beans and mixed vegetable fried rice

I had spicy tomato and crème fraiche sauce for two days in a row, and I am not bored. Sometimes I can eat similar food for many days and not get bored.

The frozen daim double chocolate polenta brownie dough is finished. It was good while it lasted. I will surely be making these again.


Today's Favourite Photo
Hot Cross Macs




Today’s Favourite Blog
Apple cider vinegar is always present in my pantry. Care2 has an excellent article on this magic liquid which I have summarised below.

Apple cider vinegar has been used to treat various ailments for at least ten thousand years (Apple Cider Vinegar: History and Folklore, Victoria Rose). The Babylonians used it as a condiment and a preservative and Hippocrates, the father of medicine, and his fellow Greeks and Romans relied on its healing properties.

Apple cider vinegar contains vitamins, minerals, acids, enzymes and other good things. Some tests have shown that is lowers blood glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure, and kills or inhibits growth of cancer cells.

In addition to ‘cleaning’ the inside of the body, apple cider vinegar also benefits the outer part of the body. It is a natural moisturizer, natural dandruff remedy, clears acne, whitens teeth and so on. The list can go on and on.

Is apple cider vinegar really a magic liquid? I have done a lot of research and as expected there are studies which also show that the benefits are overstated. In other words some studies say it is excellent while others are less enthusiastic. Personally I like apple cider vinegar. I drink it almost everyday. Usually I dilute a tablespoon in a glass of water and drink it before lunch. I find it refreshing. I also pickle vegetables, use as salad dressing and add it to stews and soups.I will continue to use it even if the researchers cannot arrive at the same conclusion.

8 comments:

  1. The salmon penne reminds me of a dish I ordered a lot from a restaurant in Chapel Hill, Vespa. It brings me back to my college days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo... I didn't expect my "bandages" to end up here. This is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that I could never get bored of spicy tomato creme fraiche sauce either. Sounds creamy delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really delicious and creamy!
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still dreaming about the Daim brownies... sigh. Very interesting post on cider vinegar - I've heard of it being used to combat all sorts of ailments. I use it in salad dressings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hot cross macarons are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummychunklet: glad to hear it brought back memories, hopefully very good memories.
    ping: you think they look like bandages?:)
    Joanne: thanks for the concurrence!
    sanyaliving: thank you, much appreciated
    Hester Casey: hopefully one day soon you will realise your dreams:)
    Gourmet Chick: they really are, and creative too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lunch is my kind of food, pasta and seafood, Yummy!

    ReplyDelete