Thursday, April 4, 2013

Semolina yogurt cake and elBulli


Semolina yogurt cake

I made this cake 3 times in 2 weeks. Firstly because I bought a lot of yogurt, I couldn’t walk away from a good deal. Secondly, and equally important, this is delicious. The cake is super moist, and semolina gives a fantastic texture, soft gritty. Thirdly, and less important, some eggs needed to be used up, because I couldn’t walk away from a good deal.

Semolina yogurt cake goes by various names, basbousa, samali, harisi, rava, revani… There are probably slight differences, some use milk, others use yogurt. To keep things simple, I call mine semolina yogurt cake. The recipe is available here.

Today's Favourite Photo
Pizzaburger – nightmare for the heart foundation!




Today’s Favourite Blog
The chance to have dinner with Ferran Adria fetched 220,500 Hong Kong dollars ($28,270) at an auction.

The proceeds of the auction will go to the elBulli Foundation. The Foundation will turn the restaurant into an experimental center looking at the process of culinary innovation and creativity.

The winner and three friends will dine with Adria and his brother at a restaurant in Barcelona and visit the premises of the elBulli restaurant. 
  
If you are disappointed that you missed out, don’t worry. Another auction will take place on April 26 in New York.

8 comments:

  1. Wow that pizza burger looks amazing, reminds me of the heart attack grill in vegas. They are a nightmare for heart foundation but want to try it even just once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burger and pizza in one - keeps many people happy at the same time!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of semolina and yogurt cake, but it looks great and your description makes it even more appetising. I love moist cakes and even more if they are so unusual!
    I thought Elbulli has closed... Apparently not. I have read several detailed descriptions of the meals there after which some people were very ill...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elbulli is closed. The dinner was at another restaurant, then they visited the place where the Elbulli restaurant used to be - its now something else.

      Delete
  3. I love semolina cakes! I've made one once before flavored with rose water. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yummm... the pizza burger looks horribly unhealthy but soooo decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love semolina cakes and I am wondering why I never tried making one before.

    ReplyDelete